[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #50808: Plugins screen - The view 'Auto-updates Enabled' also counts not supported plugins

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Jul 30 03:28:38 UTC 2020

#50808: Plugins screen - The view 'Auto-updates Enabled' also counts not supported
plugins
------------------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  knutsp                  |       Owner:  audrasjb
     Type:  defect (bug)            |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by afragen):

 Objection withdrawn. Let’s move forward.

 Replying to [comment:9 dd32]:
 > > I think of Auto-updates disabled as those plugins that CAN be auto-
 updated, but the user chooses not to. In this case the auto-update isn't
 simply disabled, it's not present and not capable of being enabled.

 > I guess it depends highly upon the way you think of the filters. But to
 use the existing format of the plugins page, we've got Active/Inactive,
 Recently Active, Update Available, and now Auto-update Enabled/Disabled.

 > Given the language constructs in use, it doesn't make sense (to me) to
 split the latter into Auto-Update Enabled/Disabled/Unsupported when all
 Unsupported are by design Disabled. It should also be pointed out that at
 this point it's splitting hairs, as the vast majority of users will most
 likely rarely have an unsupported plugin listed.

 > Additionally, to use the Active/Inactive case, we count plugins that
 '''can't''' be activated as Inactive, such as those who use `Network:
 true`, to say that enabled/disabled is any different from active/inactive
 when they're both boolean terms seems like it'll introduce more confusion
 than it'll solve, even if it goes against some purist notions.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/50808#comment:10>