[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #51066: missing 'balanced-match' dependency in block editor install package for windows

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Aug 19 17:42:12 UTC 2020

#51066: missing 'balanced-match' dependency in block editor install package for
windows
------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  nightloader       |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)      |     Status:  new
Component:  Build/Test Tools  |    Version:  5.5
 Severity:  normal            |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                    |
------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Hello, I have been having some problems setting up an environment to work
 with the block editor. I hope this is the right place to report what I
 think is an issue with the wordpress/scripts module, apologies if I am
 mistaken(tired).

 local setup :
 * windows 8.1
 * wordpress 5.5 running on [https://www.wampserver.com/ Wampserver] 3.1.3
 * {{{node --version}}} v12.18.3
 * {{{npm --version}}} 6.14.6

 steps to reproduce, following the procedure detailed here :
 [https://developer.wordpress.org/block-editor/tutorials/javascript/js-
 build-setup/ js-build-setup]. Reproduced for clarity and future reference
 :

 1. run command prompt(cmd.exe) in administrator mode(just to be sure that
 isn't a problem)
 2. {{{cd path\to\target\folder\}}}
 3. {{{npm init}}}
 4. {{{npm install @wordpress/scripts --save-dev}}}

 however, the process fails here when attempting to install the
 dependencies. Hopefully I remembered to include the error log it generated
 but here is what I thought were the relevant parts (the "[...]" parts
 intended to denote omitted code)

 {{{
 [...]

 Error: Cannot find module 'balanced match'

 [...]

 npm ERR! node-sass at 4.14.1 install: 'node scripts/install.js'
 npm ERR! Exit status 1
 npm ERR!
 npm ERR! Failed at the node-sass at 4.14.1 install script.

 [...]
 }}}

 Of course this means that the install aborts without completing. It would
 ''appear'' that the problem can be fixed by manually installing the
 missing dependency and re-attempting to install the module.

 5. {{{npm install balanced-match}}}
 6. {{{npm install @wordpress/scripts --save-dev}}}

 which gives me the following packages.json file

 {{{
 {
         "name": "plugin",
         "version": "1.0.0",
         "main": "index.js",
         "scripts": {
                 "start": "wp-scripts start",
                 "build": "wp-scripts build"
         },
         "author": "",
         "license": "ISC",
         "dependencies": {
                 "balanced-match": "^1.0.0"
         },
         "devDependencies": {
                 "@wordpress/scripts": "^12.1.1"
         },
         "description": ""
 }
 }}}

 Now, I haven't tested this yet with actual code as I spent far too long
 trying to complete the install procedure and messing around with node and
 generally just getting angry, but I'm guessing that it's a missing
 dependency in @wordpress/scripts ?