[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #47610: Media modal: add more headings to better identify the main sections and improve content navigation for assistive technology users

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Oct 14 17:59:48 UTC 2019

#47610: Media modal: add more headings to better identify the main sections and
improve content navigation for assistive technology users
 Reporter:  afercia                  |       Owner:  karmatosed
     Type:  defect (bug)             |      Status:  reopened
  screenshots has-patch i18n-change  |  javascript

Comment (by azaozz):

 Replying to [comment:55 afercia]:
 > "Dynamic menu" :)

 Hahaha, ok, you're right. That's a better way to describe it: dynamic menu
 (that may change depending on context) :)

 > Yep, okay but not traditional navigation anyways. Not the same
 interaction and not the same feedback. The browser doesn't navigate to a
 new resource nor the media modal implements a routing system to emulate
 navigation.

 Hm, ok, but how emulating navigation would change how that modal is used
 or how it behaves? Don't think it would?

 > I'm sorry but this sounds very arguable to me :)

 Ah, perhaps I'm misunderstanding something. Isn't that what you meant by
 "it may look like a menu but is in fact tabs"?

 > And sounds like a lack of a full understanding of what accessibility is.

 As far as I understand "accessibility" is "the design of products,
 devices, services, or environments so as to be usable by all people,
 including people with disabilities." Is that incorrect?

 Anyway, the fact remains there is no good "heading" for that menu. Isn't
 adding an inappropriate, perhaps misleading "heading" there going to cause
 accessibility problems, not "fix" them? Looking at the MacOS, Gnome, etc.
 examples, they seem to have menu sub-section headings, "Favourites",
 "Devices", etc. not a heading for the whole menu? "Actions" doesn't really
 mean anything there :(

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/47610#comment:58>