[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #47610: Media modal: add more headings to better identify the main sections and improve content navigation for assistive technology users

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Oct 13 16:06:01 UTC 2019

#47610: Media modal: add more headings to better identify the main sections and
improve content navigation for assistive technology users
 Reporter:  afercia                  |       Owner:  karmatosed
     Type:  defect (bug)             |      Status:  reopened
  patch i18n-change                  |  javascript

Comment (by azaozz):

 Replying to [comment:49 afercia]:
 > ...Also, a good UI should always serve the same content to all users.

 I think I see where the misunderstanding comes from. There are many places
 where hidden labels are added to help assistive technology work better.
 There "labels" are not appropriate for the visual design, they only make
 sense for assistive technology use. Also they can be "harmful" for the
 visual design as they break the semantics there and are confusing.

 I agree that "a good UI should always serve the same content to all
 users". So how do you serve an image to users of assistive technology? You
 add an "alt" attribute. This attribute is not meant to be "always visible
 in all cases", making it visible is confusing for users that do not use
 assistive technology.

 > The difficulty to find a proper heading for this UI section...

 This is not an UI section, this is a menu. On top of that it is a
 contextual menu. As such, a heading there is inappropriate. It
 breaks/diminishes the visual semantics.

 > Contextual menus on operating systems work very differently.

 No. Contextual menus work pretty similarly in all cases, they change
 depending on context. Please point me to examples of contextual menus with
 heading in any application.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/47610#comment:50>