[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #47610: Media modal: add more headings to better identify the main sections and improve content navigation for assistive technology users

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Oct 11 20:53:22 UTC 2019

#47610: Media modal: add more headings to better identify the main sections and
improve content navigation for assistive technology users
 Reporter:  afercia                  |       Owner:  karmatosed
     Type:  defect (bug)             |      Status:  reopened
  patch i18n-change                  |  javascript

Comment (by afercia):

 I kindly disagree. It's a shared opinion in the accessibility team that
 visible headings benefit all users. Also, a good UI should always serve
 the same content to all users.

 The difficulty to find a proper heading for this UI section stems from the
 fact the UI is not well designed in the first place. "Contextual menus"
 are confusing for many users, not only for users with accessibility needs.

 > Please right-click in your browser window and see what is the title of
 the contextual menu you see? N

 In my opinion this is an inappropriate comparison. Contextual menus on
 operating systems work very differently.

 Also, the real need here is not the heading in relation of the menu. The
 main UI sections need to be identified with headings. RIght now they're...
 undefined: don't know / not sure what this section is about.

 Given two entire WordPress teams, the design team and the accessibility
 team who specialize in Design, UI, UX, and accessibility, agreed on this
 change I'd have some troubles in sharing your point of view.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/47610#comment:49>