[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #48751: Make the list table "action links" always visible or provide an option for that

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Nov 21 14:00:34 UTC 2019

#48751: Make the list table "action links" always visible or provide an option for
that
-----------------------------+--------------------------------
 Reporter:  akrabat          |       Owner:  audrasjb
     Type:  defect (bug)     |      Status:  reviewing

Comment (by akrabat):

 Replying to [comment:12 afercia]:
 > Thanks @akrabat for clarifying.
 >
 > Interesting. As far as I see, with Vimari:
 https://i.19ft.com/22313059.png it is possible, for example, to press `XD`
 and focus is moved to the commenter's IP address. Then pressing Tab from
 there you'd need just one tab press to get to the action links.

 Correct - you have to know that the links are there though in order to
 think to press the tab key though.

 > Instead, I couldn't find a way to make Shortcat move focus. It sorts of
 "selects" the matched element but it doesn't really moves focus. That
 doesn't help so much in reducing the number of required Tab presses. I'd
 tend to think this is a Shortcat limitation.

 Shortcat is more like a clickable mouse pointer than a focus selector. if
 you type `.` into the Shortcat window, it highlights all the elements on a
 page. `ctrl+{character sequence}` then virtually moves the mouse pointer
 there, so then you press return to click or ctrl+return to right-click on
 that thing. This works wonderfully for websites that use a div as a button
 because Vimari only highlights things that it thinks are links. Shortcat
 also works on other apps, like Mail or System Preferences for instance.

 > Anyways, I'd propose to change the ticket Summary because it is possible
 to approve comments without a mouse. I'd tend to agree making the action
 links always visible or providing an option for that is definitely worth
 exploring.

 Happy for it to be renamed to whatever makes the most sense for the
 project.

 As a general point to everyone here, thanks for taking this seriously.
 Sighted non-mouse users are a minority of a minority!

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/48751#comment:13>