[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #43987: Block plugin updates if required PHP version is not supported - Plugins screen

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon May 6 21:15:14 UTC 2019

#43987: Block plugin updates if required PHP version is not supported - Plugins
screen
------------------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  schlessera              |       Owner:  afragen
     Type:  task (blessed)          |      Status:  reopened
Changes (by azaozz):

 * milestone:  5.2 => 5.2.1

Comment:

 Replying to [comment:41 johnbillion]:
 > I think this needs to be backported to the older branches in one form or
 another.

 Should (could?) this be handled on the updates API side? Seems a better
 idea than trying to backport it. Then all sites running older versions of
 WP will be covered, instantly.

 For now it seems setting the `Requires at least: 5.2` header in the
 plugin's readme.txt is sufficient for preventing update notifications. Of
 course, ideally plugin authors should be able to require newer PHP
 versions and still support older WP versions, but I don't see this as a
 blocker for 5.2.

 In any case, even if there's no other way except to backport this to older
 versions, the backporting should happen in a minor release so it can be
 pushed in an auto-update. Moving this for further consideration to the
 next minor.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/43987#comment:46>