[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #46624: Further bump minimum required PHP and SQL versions for the best security and consistency environments in WordPress 5.2+ trunk version.php file. (was: Change again minimum required PHP and SQL versions for the best security and consistency environments in WordPress 5.2+ trunk version.php file.)

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Mar 24 10:11:46 UTC 2019

#46624: Further bump minimum required PHP and SQL versions for the best security
and consistency environments in WordPress 5.2+ trunk version.php file.
 Reporter:  Luciano Croce                        |       Owner:  luciano-
                                                 |  croce
     Type:  enhancement                          |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by knutsp):

 It was suggested by @pento in this
 post[https://make.wordpress.org/core/2018/12/08/updating-the-minimum-php-
 version/] so I guess we already on our way. It will be wise to wait a few
 months and see the effect of Servehappy and Site Health. The percentage
 using PHP 5.6 must go down substantially.

 For Apache, and this really also goes for Mysql, some use other software
 (Mariadb) with other versioning. Alternatives to Apache is Nginx and IIS.
 How should that go into `version.php`?

 I'm more for removing sql version from the file and let Servehappy and
 Site Health take care of a more diverse minimum version.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/46624#comment:2>