[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #46580: Is there a reason we add noopener noreferrer on all anchor tags with target=?

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Mar 21 10:46:25 UTC 2019

#46580: Is there a reason we add noopener noreferrer on all anchor tags with
target=?
-----------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  heller_benjamin  |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement      |      Status:  new

Comment (by birgire):

 Thanks for the ticket @heller_benjamin

 I was also wondering about this yesterday, when looking into some unit-
 tests for tickets that use the function.

 The function was introduced in #43187

 I noticed that in [https://github.com/danielstjules/blankshield
 blankshield] the {{{_top}}}, {{{_self}}} and {{{_parent}}} are mentioned
 as safe targets.

 It would be nice to see some more info on that and also what would the
 typical use cases for these browsing contexts, after the {{{<frame>}}} and
 {{{<framesets>}}} (but not {{{<iframe>}}}) have been
 [https://www.w3.org/TR/html53/obsolete.html#elementdef-frame deprecated]
 in HTML5.

 Here is some info on supported [https://www.w3.org/TR/html53/browsers.html
 #browsing-context-name browser contexts] in HTML5.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/46580#comment:1>