[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #46580: Is there a reason we add noopener noreferrer on all anchor tags with target=?

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Mar 20 22:20:45 UTC 2019

#46580: Is there a reason we add noopener noreferrer on all anchor tags with
target=?
-----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  heller_benjamin  |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement      |     Status:  new
Component:  General          |    Version:  5.1
 Severity:  minor            |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                   |
-----------------------------+-----------------------------
 {{{#!php
 <?php
 /**
  * Adds rel noreferrer and noopener to all HTML A elements that have a
 target.
  *
  * @param string $text Content that may contain HTML A elements.
  * @return string Converted content.
  */
 function wp_targeted_link_rel( $text ) {
         // Don't run (more expensive) regex if no links with targets.
         if ( stripos( $text, 'target' ) !== false && stripos( $text, '<a '
 ) !== false ) {
                 $text = preg_replace_callback(
 '|<a\s([^>]*target\s*=[^>]*)>|i', 'wp_targeted_link_rel_callback', $text
 );
         }

         return $text;
 }
 }}}

 I have run into an issue with a Gutenberg block failed to validate because
 target="_self" is getting rel="noopener noreferrer" added. Is there a
 reason we cannot put a strpos conditional for "_blank" or something
 similar?