[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #44261: Export User Data includes media URLs, not the actual media files in zip file

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed May 30 14:32:10 UTC 2018

#44261: Export User Data includes media URLs, not the actual media files in zip
file
------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  subrataemfluence  |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement       |      Status:  new

Comment (by subrataemfluence):

 You are right! That's the reason I proposed an alternative way that will
 create a separate backup on the server and the URLs in `index.html` will
 point to this location only. Everything in this file remain the same only
 except the file location will be different than we have now. This will
 definitely prevent us from sending large attachments!

 Also since the backup will be kept for only a stipulated period and will
 be erased after that, server space will not get overused for long time.
 Users will be notified about the time frame he has to download before it
 gets removed physically from the server for ever.

 Does this make any sense?

 Replying to [comment:3 allendav]:
 > I worry about large attachments making the ZIPs ridiculous, so if we did
 something like this, let's consider having settings or at least filters
 controlling the maximum size attachment that can be added and also
 controlling the maximum size export ZIP we are willing to create.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/44261#comment:4>