[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #39595: date_default_timezone_set in wp-settings.php is set prematurely and ignorantly, regardless of other defined settings

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Jun 26 11:48:26 UTC 2018

#39595: date_default_timezone_set in wp-settings.php is set prematurely and
ignorantly, regardless of other defined settings
-------------------------------+----------------------
 Reporter:  mkormendy          |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement        |      Status:  closed
Changes (by Rarst):

 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => wontfix
 * milestone:  Awaiting Review =>

Comment:

 As of right now the situation is the following:

 1. WordPress does set PHP timezone to UTC during core load.
 2. A lot of core's Date/Time code relies on that to be the case for
 correct operation.
 3. We ''should'' make that code operate correctly regardless of PHP time
 zone (changeable by plugins and such). I am on it.
 4. Regardless of those improvements we can never stop setting it to UTC,
 since it would be a massive backwards compatibility break.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/39595#comment:15>