[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #44441: Remove the settings for "medium" and "large" image sizes from Settings => Media

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Jun 24 13:57:06 UTC 2018

#44441: Remove the settings for "medium" and "large" image sizes from Settings =>
Media
--------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  azaozz        |       Owner:  (none)

Comment (by joyously):

 > Uh, sorry, seems I didn't explain it well and you misunderstood :)

 No, I don't think I misunderstood. I'm saying that the user should be able
 to choose the sizes manually. My theme (and perhaps others) defines the
 content_width by what the user has already chosen for Large width, since
 that is what all the images already are sized to. The user knows what his
 site will need, and what size his images will likely be. WordPress does
 not.

 See this recent forum post: https://wordpress.org/support/topic/resized-
 images-much-bigger-than-original-ones/

 I have never understood why the sizes need to be generated on upload (and
 mostly never used) when they could easily be served as needed, like in the
 Dynamic Image Sizes plugin.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/44441#comment:5>