[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #44441: Remove the settings for "medium" and "large" image sizes from Settings => Media

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Jun 24 07:18:55 UTC 2018

#44441: Remove the settings for "medium" and "large" image sizes from Settings =>
Media
--------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  azaozz        |       Owner:  (none)
Description changed by azaozz:

Old description:

> We've been using `srcset` and `sizes` img tag attributes for quite a
> while now. When we added them, they were somewhat "new", but now they are
> "mainstream" :)
> (In the browsers this works by disregarding the `src` attribute and
> instead using only the `srcset` attribute.)
>
> This generally means that when creating a post the user is no longer
> constrained in having to choose a specific image size (that has to
> exist). The users can add pretty much any size images, only constrained
> by the theme's `content_width`, and the browser will choose the proper
> image file to download for the specific browser/device for each visitor
> to the site.
>
> In that terms the `medium` and `large` sizes are no longer needed as
> "hard-coded" setting. They are used to support the `srcset` but they
> should not be used as restrain when creating a post and inserting an
> image. Having the `max width` and `max height` settings for them on the
> Settings => Media screen doesn't make sense.

New description:

 We've been using `srcset` and `sizes` img tag attributes for quite a while
 now. When we added them, they were somewhat "new", but now they are
 "mainstream" :)
 (In the browsers this works by disregarding the `src` attribute and
 instead using only the `srcset` attribute.)

 This generally means that when creating a post the user is no longer
 constrained in having to choose a specific image size (that has to exist).
 The users can add pretty much any size images, only constrained by the
 theme's `content_width`, and the browser will choose the proper image file
 to download for the specific browser/device for each visitor to the site.

 In that terms the ability to change the `medium` and `large` sizes "by
 hand" is no longer needed. They are used to support the `srcset` but they

Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/44441#comment:3>