[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #38869: Change "Site Default" in User Profile Options for Language to "Site Setting"

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Jan 29 21:53:57 UTC 2018

#38869: Change "Site Default" in User Profile Options for Language to "Site
Setting"
-----------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  transl8or        |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement      |      Status:  new

Comment (by transl8or):

 I agree on the suggestion from @melchoyce removing the default site
 language from the list, so it's not duplicated.

 Also, I agree on the point to clarify what the default is, and also in
 which context.

 Here' how I see it and remember a discussion long ago:
 - In the context of the software WordPress the default (language) is
 always
 a) english, because it's in core.
 Everyone who's happy to be an admin and with english on the frontend and
 backend does not even need to install another language and will not see
 these options in this dropdown menu on the user profile page.

 - In the context of a simple user in another country (maybe with a role
 less then an Administrator, that is just a Contributor, Author, or Editor)
 you dont know all this.
 The default for this user then might probably be the language of the
 frontend.
 And this "Site Frontend Language" has the be
 B) Installed
 C) Set by an Administrator in Settings > General
 D) Created through content via posts and pages in that language

 That's the reason why I think its not good to name that 'Site Default'.
 That's not really a default, after all the installation, configuration and
 creation hassle.

 And if the Administrator knows there is an user/author that prefers
 another language as personal default, because its his native language or
 unpolite like in the case of nonformal german, then there has to be
 E) another language installed for that user

 [Additionally just imagine that some users even don't know that some parts
 of the frontend come from the handcrafted, individuell posts/pages of an
 author and some parts like the post navigation (Previous Post, Next Post)
 come from an translated translation file of the theme or from core thru an
 installation script. Oh my! ]
 Anyways.

 I think it should be clear that in the '''User Profil Settings''' the user
 can either (always) choose english or only from a language that is
 installed and/or set there for the site. The later one is on the top of
 the dropdown menu and not duplicated.

 If there would be no place problems there, I would name that "'''Language
 that is set for the Site Frontend'''".

 My suggestion still is "'''Website Setting''': xxxxxx " or "'''Site
 General Setting''': xxxxxx " or even "'''Site Language''': xxxxxx"

 As this is also corresponding with the help tap text we have another
 alternative wording:
 "You can select the language you wish to use while using the WordPress
 administration screen without affecting the language site visitors see."

 '''Language''' (for your administration screen)

 - "''' language site visitors see''' ": Deutsch (Sie)
 - English (United States)
 - Deutsch
 - French
 - Català