[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #42578: PHP functions inside <p> tags creates new <p> tag, breaking the parent tag into two.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Jan 8 06:26:00 UTC 2018

#42578: PHP functions inside <p> tags creates new <p> tag, breaking the parent tag
into two.
---------------------------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  karthikeyankc                    |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)                     |      Status:  new

Comment (by jeremyescott):

 @peterwilsoncc: To recap, you're saying the ''lesser of two evils'' is to
 break themes '''again'''?

 I can think of many cases where I wouldn't have been against a revert,
 like during development, during beta testing, even a week after release.
 '''But its been 8 weeks!!!''' For every stubborn theme dev who hasn't
 fixed their theme by now, there are many who have. Because its an easy
 fix. Either change a <p> to a <div> or change the escape from esc_html to
 wp_kses or something like it. But now you're gonna all the people who made
 that fix to undo because some people didn't want to make the fix.

 Its foolish to try and measure those who have fixed it against those who
 haven't and somehow decide who loses. But I will say, the businesses that
 make up the economy behind have already fixed it. The premium theme devs
 have already fixed it. They were fixing it on day 1, or even finding it
 during beta. They shouldn't get preferential treatment, but you know who
 should? Our end-users, the publishers.

 The reason a lot of people may not have reported it as a bug during is
 simply that it fits the mission of WordPress: to make publishing easier.
 That line break... its important to unskilled publisher who is wondering
 why they can't make a paragraph in their bio. That line break matters. And
 you gave it to them. Now you want to take it away.

 Reverting will fix an unknown number of broken sites while breaking an
 unknown number of fixed sites while taking a feature that democratized
 publishing.

 This is a sticky situation, I get it. But for where we are now, the
 failure here is no longer the half-baked rollout of a feature, per se, it
 is the lack of communication that got us into this mess and the heel-
 dragging that sees it still unresolved 8 weeks later. It is hugely
 irresponsibly late to revert this.

 And at this point, we should be considering the impact on our publishers,
 who've wanted something like this for a long time, and the impact on the
 professionals whose careers forced them to fix this ASAP instead of
 waiting 8 weeks for a revert. If this hadn't been committed or if it
 wasn't out in the wild for 8 weeks already, I'd agree with excluding or
 reverting it, but since it was, and since tons of theme devs have already
 fixed their themes/sites, if it comes down to should we fix what is broken
 thus breaking what was fixed, or leave what is broken broken, shouldn't
 the mission of making publishing easier be considered when tipping the
 scales? I think so.

 I'm speaking for hard workers out there who just dealt with this problem
 and moved on. Don't punish them. And I'm speaking for the publishers
 who've wanted a line break in their bio for years. Don't take that away
 from them.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/42578#comment:24>