[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #42578: PHP functions inside <p> tags creates new <p> tag, breaking the parent tag into two.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Jan 8 03:24:02 UTC 2018

#42578: PHP functions inside <p> tags creates new <p> tag, breaking the parent tag
into two.
---------------------------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  karthikeyankc                    |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)                     |      Status:  new

Comment (by peterwilsoncc):

 Replying to [comment:22 jeremyescott]:
 > Right now, we are discussing reverting the changes because, basically,
 some theme developers are frustrated. And I get that. I make themes.

 > But, as of right now, a handful of theme authors, myself included have
 already fixed our sites. Its not hard to change a <p> to a <div>,
 seriously, and if you revert this, I'm going to have to go out and ask my
 clients again to pay me to revert my changes. (Or, I'm hoping, maybe it
 won't be required.)

 > @swissspidy was right, '''this is a feature'''. One that was stupid late
 to the party. One I feel should be kept.

 I agree, reverting will penalise theme authors who have already updated
 their themes.

 Between the choices of retaining or reverting, I think reverting is the
 lesser evil as more themes are likely to be broken at this time than
 fixed.

 For the themes you have fixed, I suggest adding the filters within
 `functions.php` as a way to maintain the 4.9 functionality.

 * the authors archive description can be filtered on
 `get_the_author_description`
 * the post type archive description will need to be filtered on
 `get_the_archive_description`

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/42578#comment:23>