[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #43275: Using IP address and account name as URL stops certain plugins from loading and can cause issue with admin-ajax.php

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Feb 10 02:20:06 UTC 2018

#43275: Using IP address and account name as URL stops certain plugins from loading
and can cause issue with admin-ajax.php
 Reporter:  ratputin      |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  Plugins       |    Version:  4.9
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                |
 When I build site for customers with pre-existing sites on misc servers, I
 install a site on one of our VMs and use the following format for the URL:
 https://###.##.###.###/~accountname. I have done this for many years.
 However since WordPress 4.9+ I can't do this any longer for 2 reasons:

 1. When using the twentyseventeen theme and activating certain plugins
 (ex. Simple History, Elegant Support, GravityForms) I am unable to access
 that plugin's setting page. I receive a "can't load" error.

 2. When using the Divi Theme, in addition to the plugin settings issue, I
 am unable to launch the Divi Builder due to an "timeout" error involving
 admin-ajax.php.

 No troubleshooting with the plugin or theme devs garnered results. The
 only fix was to migrate the builds to a domain name (this affected 3 new
 installations).

 Not sure if this is a bug, just wanted to report something that used to
 work doesn't any longer.

 Keep up the great work!
 KO