[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #43546: Add to the privacy tools UX a means to export personal data by username or email address

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Apr 12 07:21:07 UTC 2018

#43546: Add to the privacy tools UX a means to export personal data by username or
email address
------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  allendav          |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement       |      Status:  new

Comment (by TZ Media):

 Great work, @allendav!

 I have a few thoughts regarding the possibility of adding additional
 output generators (as plugin), as we will need other (custom) output
 formats for some projects (e.g. XML output or a single PDF document
 instead of HTML.

 From how I understand your code, we would need to be able to
 * Add additional action links to the items in the table, like "Download
 Personal Data as XML".
 * Be able to use the HTML generation without saving it to a file directly
 (to further process it and save it in a different file format like PDF).
 * Be able to easily add other output formats, by
   * either making as much of the functionality - like generation of
 $export_data or the ajax loop from xfn.js - reusable as separate
 functions,
   * or make the export generator aware of different output formats, like
     * register possible export format generators - including the one form
 core that generates HTML/ZIP - via a filter hook,
     * automate the generation of action links for each format to the items
 in the table,
     * send the desired output format as handler in the AJAX request loop
 that triggers the report generation,
     * and call the export generator that is registered for this handler to
 generate an output file (either a single file, or an archive)
       * Question here: Could we refactor the zip file generation into a
 helper function that is reusable for all export generators?

 I know that this would require deep changes, but would it be possible to
 include this possibility one way or the other? I'd prefer the last
 approach as it is the most flexible one for plugin authors, but I could
 live with other approaches as well.

 Also I'd be willing to help implementing this if we can agree on an
 approach.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/43546#comment:10>