[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #41292: Switch Travis CI environment to Trusty - PHP 5.2 & 5.3 no longer available Sept 2017

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Sep 17 16:24:31 UTC 2017

#41292: Switch Travis CI environment to Trusty - PHP 5.2 & 5.3  no longer available
Sept 2017
------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  netweb            |       Owner:  jnylen0
     Type:  defect (bug)      |      Status:  reopened

Comment (by miyauchi):

 Hi @netweb

 Thanks for reply.

 > Why create Docker images for PHP 54 - 7.1? Do you see a benefit in using
 custom images over the available PHP 5.4 - 7.x offered by Travis CI?

 I guess it will be able to be `.travis.yml` simple and we can run phpunit
 on the same settings.
 Creating image is reasonable because those images are built automatically
 on Travis CI.

 > Have you tried implementing any Travis CI caching?

 Not yet. :)
 I guess Travis CI can't cache docker image.

 > I see you're using phpenv whereas @notnownikki used phpbrew, are there
 benefits of one over the other?

 phpbrew say:

   To get older versions (less than 5.4)
   Please note that we don't guarantee that you can build the php versions
 that are not supported by offical successfully,
   please don't fire any issue about the older versions, these issues won't
 be fixed."

 https://github.com/phpbrew/phpbrew#basic-usage

 I create a sample GitHub repository which runs phpunit with Docker +
 PHP5.2 +.
 I haven't run qunit yet for now.

 https://travis-ci.org/miya0001/wordpress-develop
 https://github.com/WordPress/wordpress-develop/compare/master...miya0001
 :docker-based-ci

 I will try to add tests with multiple versions of MySQL with docker.

 Thanks :)

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/41292#comment:40>