[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #42553: IE11: content loss when editing a post (Object doesn't support property or method 'matches')

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Nov 15 12:13:44 UTC 2017

#42553: IE11: content loss when editing a post (Object doesn't support property or
method 'matches')
--------------------------+-----------------------------------------
 Reporter:  afercia       |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  Editor        |    Version:  trunk
 Severity:  critical      |   Keywords:  needs-patch has-screenshots
  Focuses:                |
--------------------------+-----------------------------------------
 Reproduced on 3 different Windows machines thanks to @SergeyBiryukov.

 Probably related to the changes to keep the selection when switching
 editor mode, see [41630] and following changes. See also #42530 and
 #42531.

 To reproduce:
 Create a new post with some simple content, for example:
 {{{
 Welcome to WordPress. This is your first post. Edit or delete it, then
 start writing!

 Second paragraph.

 Third paragraph.
 }}}

 - publish the post and navigate away from the page
 - open again the post, make sure the Editor is in "Visual mode" on first
 load
 - switch to "Text mode"
 - switch back to "Visual mode"
 - the first paragraph in the content gets removed

 Keep switching editor modes: I've observed also the second and third
 paragraphs get removed or, depending on if there's a selection or the
 caret position, parts of them but couldn't reproduce consistently.

 I'm not sure it's really related, but the error `Object doesn't support
 property or method 'matches'` happens when switching Editor mode and comes
 from TinyMCE, not sure what code in the keep selection feature is using
 TinyMCE methods.

 Also, from @SergeyBiryukov:

 I can also reproduce the `Object doesn't support property or method
 'matches'` error even without creating a post:
 1. Open "Add New Post" screen.
 2. Make sure Visual tab is displayed.
 3. Click anywhere inside the editor content area and you'll get the error.

 [[Image(https://cldup.com/5tX-oDSx_A.png)]]