[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #40773: Hello, I found the problem with permalink on the site in the latest version of WordPress.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue May 16 11:46:03 UTC 2017

#40773: Hello, I found the problem with permalink on the site in the latest version
of WordPress.
 Reporter:  prografika    |       Owner:

Comment (by subrataemfluence):

 I could reproduce the issue and tried to get some more information about
 it.

 I have a page `site.com/trips/dharamsala-deemed-smart-city/`. If I add an
 arbitrary number to the end of it, the page still loads fine, e.g /trips
 /dharamsala-deemed-smart-city/9987, but if I add a non-numeric value in
 place of 9987, e.g. 98xx the page no longer comes up!

 The first thing we need to know how this additional parameter is being
 treated by WordPress and why only numeric values are being accepted.

 For the same above URL, the plain mode comes up as `site.com/?trips
 =dharamsala-deemed-smart-city`. Now if I add an additional parameter e.g.
 x=9987, the page loads. Even x=9987x does not prevent the page from

 If I haven't understood wrong, pretty permalinks actually encapsulate the
 real URL inside it by. I tried to get that actual underlying URL so that
 the query string parameters could be revealed but I couldn't. I was unable
 to find a function in core which outputs the above.

 However, the first parameter in my URL is "trips" so if I add a number to
 end of this URL, WordPress still can match the first parameter value and
 finds the content.

 But if above is true then why not with an alphanumeric value?
 Also why both numeric and alphanumeric values are accepted when I use plan
 mode?

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/40773#comment:1>