[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #39607: Multiple pages with the same title but different parents not differentiated in link editor dialog

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Jan 21 14:41:13 UTC 2017

#39607: Multiple pages with the same title but different parents not differentiated
in link editor dialog
-----------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  jdgrimes               |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement            |      Status:  new

Comment (by jdgrimes):

 Replying to [comment:4 azaozz]:
 > Also, not sure the parent title should be after the post title. Doesn't
 seem logical and is the opposite in the permalink.

 I as originally thinking that the parent title would be after, because the
 part you are searching for should come first. What if the title(s) are
 long and the end has to be cut off? (I'm not sure how that is handled
 here.) The parent title should probably be clipped, not the child.

 > Also, what do we do for grandparents, great-grandparents, etc. Should we
 skip them? Perhaps go to three levels deep?

 Originally I had thought that the parent would only need to be shown when
 multiple items shared the same title. If we did that, then I guess it
 would only make sense to show the grandparents if the parents were also
 the same. But perhaps it is better to always show the parents, maybe there
 are other times that is helpful, even when titles don't match exactly??

 > In any case, needs some feedback on how to display:

 Assuming that the parent was shown second, I was thinking something along
 the lines of:

 {{{
 Child title < Parent Title
 }}}

 I envisioned that the parent title would be in a slightly lighter/less
 bold color than the child title, so as not to distract from the child so
 much. That would probably be especially good if the parent is always shown
 for every item, and not just for ambiguous ones.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/39607#comment:5>