[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #37661: A New Experience for Discovering, Installing, and Previewing Themes in the Customizer

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Sep 18 04:29:59 UTC 2016

#37661: A New Experience for Discovering, Installing, and Previewing Themes in the
Customizer
 Reporter:  celloexpressions         |       Owner:  celloexpressions
     Type:  feature request          |      Status:  assigned
  screenshots needs-testing needs-   |  javascript
  user-testing                       |

Comment (by celloexpressions):

 - Refresh CSS conflicts following some recent commits.
 - 1., 4., 5., 6., 7., 8., 9., 10., 11., 12., 13., 14., 15., 16., and 18.
 from the list above are all fixed.
 - I took a first pass at improving the styling on mobile (19.); this is
 forked from (will not change the original) the UI in the admin that this
 is based on.

 We need feedback on:
 - 2. Does the customize button at the top do enough to indicate this is
 how to "go back"? Note that this is exactly the same as the current UI we
 have to exit the themes section.
 - 3. Do we need a link at the bottom of the panel to go back? I played
 around with this and personally don't think it looks right since it shows
 up whenever themes are loading. Ideally you'll never get to the end of the
 infinite scroll in many of the sections anyway, so we can't rely on
 something being at the bottom. Scroll-to-top or a sticky back-navigation
 may be an option. I had considered a full-height back button with an arrow
 at one point but that seemed like overkill.
 - 17. Any objections to a larger tap target and focus circle for the help
 icon?

 And the patch is once again ready for testing and feedback of any sort.
 We're now ten days away from publishing a final make/core feature proposal
 and should not make significant changes after that (user testing needs to
 start before then as well, ideally more formal than what I've shared so
 far).

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/37661#comment:34>