[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #29158: Customizer UI Design lacks contrast for visual hierarchy and does not match wp-admin

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Oct 26 22:53:47 UTC 2016

#29158: Customizer UI Design lacks contrast for visual hierarchy and does not match
wp-admin
 Reporter:  celloexpressions                     |       Owner:  helen
     Type:  task (blessed)                       |      Status:  reviewing
  patch needs-testing                            |  accessibility

Comment (by folletto):

 I agree, it's a frequent oversight to conflate the two as a single
 interaction, even when the fundamentals of human-computer interaction I
 explained above translate clearly to the UI. Happens far too often even in
 instances where it's not necessary.

 Without getting to deep in HCI fundamentals that are probably more fitting
 a chat, I did a review and the issue you raised seems of a different
 nature:

 > leading to people doing things like blurring after a click and so forth

 Analyzing this behaviour we can split in two aspects of the issue:

 1. Sticky Back — I've noticed this many times too. This issue is more
 visible when a user navigates in a section an back, given the original
 item remains selected. Which makes sense from a certain perspective for
 sure, but it also keeps highlighting an item it should be neutral (on back
 navigation). That's something we can address (I'm not sure on the
 accessibility reasons about it, they should be reviewed before moving).
 2. Focus on Click — The issue of triggering on click instead is present
 but minor, because once clicked the the new panel appears, making any
 potential focus state to be immediately hidden. The oddity here is that
 while it's formally correct to highlight the item, it fails in the
 customizer: the item shouldn't get a focus status on click because the
 focus has been transferred to the sub-panel.

 My suggestion would be to keep the ticket as it was with the standard
 implementation of two interlocking and unified styles, and push for a
 solution to the more specific issue you raised in a separate ticket.

 That said, I’m aware you have the final word, so up to you, I think with
 this second answer I gave you all the elements to decide. Either way, I’d
 still open the ticket mentioned above to discuss that problem and see if
 we can find a good accessible solution, because that's the bit that annoys
 us both. :)

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/29158#comment:106>