[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #38114: Make it easier to visualize where to put your content in a given theme (aka "dummy content")

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Oct 12 22:59:46 UTC 2016

#38114: Make it easier to visualize where to put your content in a given theme (aka
"dummy content")
----------------------------+------------------
 Reporter:  helen           |       Owner:
     Type:  task (blessed)  |      Status:  new

Comment (by jcastaneda):

 Just some thought from my personal years of reviewing themes:

 > What does the current default and fallback content landscape look like?
 Not the greatest in that a lot will use a fallback to how great their
 theme is or even what the theme can do.

 > What do themes and plugins currently do around preview or default
 content?
 Currently some themes set a default ( `get_theme_mod( 'setting', 'This is
 an awesome theme' )` ) that can often require a user to edit a setting
 just to remove that. Not always ideal in certain situations. A lot of it
 is because it is information about the theme and what it can do or even
 what the "pro" version has to offer.

 > What kind of format should this take? (i.e. JSON for cross-
 language/context compat)
 JSON is a potential one I could see being used for it.

 > How do we make this translatable/localization-friendly, i.e. making sure
 that content is not just translatable into another language but also is
 culturally relevant?
 Avoid time specific events or things? Make it more a generalized content.

 > How might this impact the theme review team?
 It shouldn't. Having a standardized method would actually help in seeing
 what the theme is actually doing with user content and what - if any -
 metadata it is trying to get and use. On a related note I actually haven't
 seen very many themes ( in the repo ) have support for custom fields
 plugins or even doing much with metadata. This is something that could be

 > Can this integrate with .org theme demos?
 I don't see why it couldn't.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/38114#comment:16>