[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #38171: A site within a network has no more users when those users are deleted from the network

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Oct 3 12:13:45 UTC 2016

#38171: A site within a network has no more users when those users are deleted from
the network
 Reporter:  Fab1en                               |       Owner:
     Type:  feature request                      |      Status:  new
                                                 |     Focuses:  multisite

Comment (by Fab1en):

 Replying to [comment:3 johnbillion]:
 > There's nothing wrong with a site that does not have any users, even if
 it has content that is assigned to a user that is not a member of the
 site.

 Thanks for your message @johnbillion. In my opinion, there is nothing
 wrong, but it's just counter-intuitive. How could we make that more
 intuitive ?

 > I'd be happy to see proposals for a UI that presents a message to the
 user when removing the last user of a site, or presents them with the
 option of automatically adding the re-assigned user to the site.

 In my opinion, we have several possibilities here :

  1. before deleting a user, propose to assign another user to a site that
 will be left without any user otherwise,
  2. or once the previous user has been deleted, when a site edit page is
 displayed, show a message to explain how to and why add a user to a site
 that has no more user.

 The first proposal may be difficult to detect : before deleting users, we
 have to find if a site will be left without any user or not. For a site
 that has users A and B, deleting A would not display the message, deleting
 B either, but deleting A and B in a bulk action will.

 The second proposal would be easier to implement and would also cover
 other cases. For example, when you explicitly remove a user from a site
 without deleting it.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/38171#comment:6>