[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #38867: Changesets : opening a link from the preview as a new browser tab can be confusing

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Nov 20 08:42:01 UTC 2016

#38867: Changesets : opening a link from the preview as a new browser tab can be
confusing
--------------------------+--------------------------
 Reporter:  nikeo         |       Owner:  westonruter
     Type:  defect (bug)  |      Status:  accepted

Comment (by nikeo):

 ''Back. I was busy with my little family.''

 @westonruter I've tested the latest patch. It solves the problems 1 (no
 admin bar) and 3 (links disabled).

 About item 2 ( unpublished changes ), IMHO users should be better informed
 that they're navigating in a temporary design, not yet published. They
 currently can only know it by inspecting the urls.

 A possible way to solve this, now that the admin bar is back, would be to
 replace the 'Customize' button on top by 2 buttons :
 1. 'Save and Publish' => shouldn't be a problem since we have a $manager
 instance
 2. 'Finish Customizing' => would open the customizer. There could even be
 a (n days left) next to this text, but it's not very friendly...

 Given the risk of losing the customizations already done after 7 days,
 those buttons should reflect the idea of urgence, why not with a "warning"
 type color like orange.

 Another thought about this : the 7 days delay before trash seems very
 short. Would it be a problem to extend this delay, before the changeset
 revision is implemented ?

 > For a permanent solution in the future I'll note that that Customize
 Snapshots plugin (currently being refactored for 4.7-compat) has a
 dedicated link to open the current preview into a new window without the
 iframe. See also https://github.com/xwp/wp-customize-snapshots/issues/101

 This feature plugin looks very promising !

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/38867#comment:5>