[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #39082: Menu items in the My Sites -> Network Admin menu should use individual capability checks

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Dec 5 17:15:21 UTC 2016

#39082: Menu items in the My Sites -> Network Admin menu should use individual
capability checks
----------------------------------------+------------------------
 Reporter:  johnbillion                 |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement                 |      Status:  new

Comment (by achbed):

 It appears that menu items are still there, because some submenu items are
 legitimately available (they use alternate cap checks). For example, if
 someone has {{{create_sites}}} capability, then they will still see the
 {{{Sites}}} menu because the {{{Add New}}} submenu item is there.  They
 would not see the {{{All Sites}}} submenu item unless they also have
 {{{manage_sites}}} capability.

 The main {{{Sites}}} menu (when selected) always ends up at
 {{{sites.php}}} - which may not be available based on the capability
 check.

 To fix this, we'd have to alter the top-level menu for each item based on
 a capability check, and we would have to agree on where that top-level
 menu should point to.

 I've prepped an example patch showing the proposed logic in place for
 sites and users so we can validate the approach.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/39082#comment:1>