[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #34923: Allow users to more seamlessly create page-based nav menus during customization

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Aug 11 02:37:11 UTC 2016

#34923: Allow users to more seamlessly create page-based nav menus during
customization
 Reporter:  westonruter              |       Owner:  westonruter
     Type:  enhancement              |      Status:  accepted
  needs-testing has-screenshots      |  javascript

Comment (by celloexpressions):

 Thanks for that @helen, I'd also like this to be a priority for 4.7 and am
 happy to help continue iterating as needed. I'll circle back this weekend
 (once I finish up a first pass at a very related project) but a couple
 quick notes.

 Personally I'd really like to see the ability to create taxonomy terms
 here as well, as part of that site-structuring flow. However, due to the
 issues raised previously regarding the technical limitations of draft
 terms, we probably need to address it separately after the initial feature
 lands. If we get this wrapped up soon enough, that may still be able to
 happen for 4.7.

 Regarding the suggestion from @westonruter above, I don't think it's going
 to be practical to merge this into the plugin before core, because it
 won't be very easy to pluginify the patch - in particular the UI requires
 restructuring the entire available menu items panel JS and CSS. I'm also
 hoping we can get a first pass committed in the next few weeks, quite
 early in the 4.7 cycle, since it's fairly mature now. We primarily need
 feedback on the code at this point, although it would also be great to get
 some user testing to back up the flow goals here.

 @afercia thanks for the accessibility feedback! I will work on an updated
 patch when I circle back. However, issues 2, 3 (the border is for a
 notification, in this case also indicating that it's new), and 4 (first
 part, second part we should work on) are all caused by the notifications
 API introduced in 4.6 with #32893, and will also be problematic for other
 features using that API. I think we should address those points in a
 separate ticket, and make sure they're fixed for 4.7 since this will be
 the most prominent usage of notifications yet.

 And quickly parsing that out - we need to look at the wording and link
 placement for the new page notification both for accessibility and for
 general feedback.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/34923#comment:63>