[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #36460: Unable to break out of code tags in visual mode when using keyboard navigation

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Apr 10 16:33:17 UTC 2016

#36460: Unable to break out of code tags in visual mode when using keyboard
navigation
--------------------------+-------------------------
 Reporter:  Clorith       |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |      Status:  closed
Changes (by azaozz):

 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => worksforme
 * milestone:  4.5 =>

Comment:

 This is not a new bug or a regression. Unfortunately that is how
 contentEditable behaves in many cases. Happens with all inline elements
 that are at the end of a block element/paragraph. Pressing Enter/Return is
 the standard way to "break out".

 This is also the main reason TinyMCE has an "element path" at the bottom
 of the editor, so the user can click/tab to it and choose the "currently
 selected" element where the caret is.

 I realize this behaviour is not ideal, but there is very little we can do
 to change it. Pretty much all "word processors" behave in this or very
 similar way. Going to close this as worksforme, feel free to reopen if
 there are better examples of how the editors should behave in this case.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/36460#comment:1>