[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #34560: High memory usage ( and possible server error) editing post with many/large revisions

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Nov 24 12:33:31 UTC 2015

#34560: High memory usage ( and possible server error) editing post with many/large
revisions
 Reporter:  pdfernhout               |       Owner:  adamsilverstein
     Type:  defect (bug)             |      Status:  assigned
  patch dev-feedback needs-testing   |  performance

Comment (by pdfernhout):

 @senatorman Thanks for taking the time to report an issue. It's not clear
 to me yet if what you post on is exactly the "same problem". What you
 outline sounds more like a general slowdown for all pages rather than a
 slowdown (or whitescreen or server error) only when opening an editor
 page? Unless you see a slowdown when editing posts with many revisions,
 the issue you outline sounds like it is probably different than this one.
 If it is a different issue, you will get better troubleshooting help by
 posting elsewhere (to help determine if the issue is too many page views
 for the server capacity, misbehaving plugins, core WordPress, or something
 else). Or, alternatively, you might get the issue fixed sooner by finding
 a WordPress consultant to help you troubleshoot it quickly if it is more
 about configuration issue than a bug in core WordPress (what this
 particular Trac system is for).

 It looks like from your other posts that you site has more than 40,000
 products and others might be [https://wordpress.org/support/topic
 /wp_load_alloptions-killing-website?replies=2 having a similar issue to
 what you describe]. If there was any broad similarity to this issue, I
 would expect it could be from a similar sort of inefficiency somewhere
 where WordPress might load more data than it has to when loading all
 options. However, conceptually, that is what wp_load_alloptions should be
 doing -- loading all options. :-) So, the issue you report could result
 from from some plugin (or even core code) abusing the options system to
 store more data there than it should (like setting a unique option for
 every product or post or something). But without detailed troubleshooting
 done elsewhere, it's not possible to know. So, I'd encourage you (or
 someone you hire) to collect some more debugging information on what is
 stored in the options data for your specific site, and if it then indeed
 looks like a bug in core WordPress, post a separate Trac issue on it -- or
 otherwise report the issue to the appropriate plugin maintainer.

 Replying to [comment:43 senatorman]:

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/34560#comment:44>