[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #34560: High memory usage ( and possible server error) editing post with many/large revisions

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Nov 12 01:36:17 UTC 2015

#34560: High memory usage ( and possible server error) editing post with many/large
revisions
 Reporter:  pdfernhout               |       Owner:  adamsilverstein
     Type:  defect (bug)             |      Status:  assigned
  patch dev-feedback needs-testing   |  performance

Comment (by pdfernhout):

 Replying to [comment:39 adamsilverstein]:

 @adamsilverstein Thanks for the continued improvements. I "smoke tested"
 this patch by editing that pre-existing 461K post (with 381 revisions of
 increasing size) and then saving it again and it worked OK. Memory use was
 29.17MB of 256MB. I did not try creating a new page.

 However, when I browsed revisions, memory use was 109.01MB of 256MB. While
 not unexpected, there remains an unnecessary limit here that a user could
 bump into related to loading unneeded revisions, as otherwise I'd guess
 memory use could be closer to 20MB for that action.

 I'm not saying that revision browser memory issue should necessarily be
 fixed as part of this issue (which was related to the editor). There is a
 big difference in functionality between suddenly not being able to edit a
 long page at all (which seems essential) and not being able to compare
 revisions (which is just really nice to have). Improving memory use of the
 revisions browser would probably require re-engineering to just pull in
 specific revisions as needed to compare differences on demand via AJAX. It
 could perhaps just be done either as a new issue or under one of the other
 related issues previously mentioned like issue #24958 or issue #25233.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/34560#comment:41>