[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #31336: Customizer: separate navigation from options UI for better UX by removing accordion behavior

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon May 25 11:18:16 UTC 2015

#31336: Customizer: separate navigation from options UI for better UX by removing
accordion behavior
--------------------------+------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:                |       Owner:  ocean90
  celloexpressions        |      Status:  assigned
     Type:  enhancement   |   Milestone:  4.3

Comment (by folletto):

 >> If someone else wants to patch it, go for it. But I still disagree.
 While the general UX is similar, panels and sections are fundamentally
 different, which is why we didn't go with an API that simply allowed
 nested sections when panels were first introduced. While it may not matter
 much to users, the UI should at least hint at the distinction, and I don't
 see it hurting anything.

 > @folletto What do you think? I think the background color around the
 arrow for panels is a bit noisy and featureless.

 My perspective is pretty much the one I did in the mockups above: the UI
 should be the same. Because from an interaction perspective these are "the
 same" (i.e. when I click the same thing happens). I get there's a deep
 difference in the underlying framework, but the interaction is the same.
 Different UI elements should be introduced just for different
 interactions. It's a matter of pattern matching and overall clarity.

 Granted, it's not a big deal, but polishes the interface further, which is
 a good thing even considering the other discussion about introducing
 icons. ;)

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/31336#comment:54>