[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #30971: Widgets link in front-end admin bar should point to Widgets in the Customizer

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu May 21 18:13:41 UTC 2015

#30971: Widgets link in front-end admin bar should point to Widgets in the
Customizer
---------------------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  celloexpressions                 |       Owner:  SergeyBiryukov
     Type:  enhancement                      |      Status:  closed

Comment (by jb510):

 Ditto, on probably being too late, but this is causing real problems for
 me on a few sites.

 In most cases it's just not at all where I want to manage widgets because
 it's slow and confusing.  In those I'm just annoyed by the change, but
 that's tolerable.

 On a few sites however the customizer doesn't even load.  Instead I get
 the sidebar and just get a pinwheel in the main window.  This is beyond
 the annoyance, it's failure.  I don't know why, don't really care these
 are old and very large sites with no need to ever use the customizer.

 In more than one case this change has left a client totally confused
 because until now they had no idea the customizer even existed and they
 have no idea how to use it.

 I did a walk through with one of them and I see why they're confused.
 First they assumed they could now drag and drop actual widgets around on
 the front end (ie. drag/drop in the main window), they they basically
 ignored the sidebar at first.  Then upon realizing they couldn't do what
 they expected, they figured it still worked the way they were used to and
 started trying to drag widgets from the sidebar onto the main window.

 Anyway, too late just logging it.  Not sure why I didn't notice this
 testing 4.2, seems like I only noticed this after 4.2.2

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/30971#comment:10>