[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #30971: Widgets link in front-end admin bar should point to Widgets in the Customizer

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat May 16 00:52:49 UTC 2015

#30971: Widgets link in front-end admin bar should point to Widgets in the
Customizer
---------------------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  celloexpressions                 |       Owner:  SergeyBiryukov
     Type:  enhancement                      |      Status:  closed

Comment (by brit77):

 Perhaps it is too late to comment on this, but I just discovered this
 change.

 In practice, I'm finding the Widget Customizer to be sluggish and
 inefficient: first loads the main Customize panel, then a few seconds
 later switches to the Widget panel; exiting out takes a couple of clicks
 and several seconds too.

 There is already a link in the appearances drop-down to open the
 Customizer (and even with the extra click, it's no slower than opening the
 Widgets panel from the link), so is it really necessary to also open
 widgets in the Customizer?

 The alternative route to the widgets page in admin is three clicks:
 Dashboard>(scroll down) Appearances>Widgets...time consuming, but maybe
 still quicker than using the Customizer! Even better to have the shortcut
 directly to the page.

 Having Themes open in the Customizer makes more sense; themes aren't
 frequently changed. Widgets however may be accessed much more often. And
 as noted, there is an option already from the admin panel to access
 Customize>Widgets. Do we really have to lose the convenient shortcut to
 the Widgets page? :(

 I frequently access the widget page, and I've tried to acclimate to the
 Customizer, but it is really slowing me down. Please, I'd like to see a
 solution! I have found no plugin or help file to address this, so I'm
 turning to you good people to see what you have to say.

 Thanks!

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/30971#comment:9>