[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #31336: Customizer: separate navigation from options UI for better UX by removing accordion behavior

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed May 20 21:57:23 UTC 2015

#31336: Customizer: separate navigation from options UI for better UX by removing
accordion behavior
--------------------------+------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:                |       Owner:  ocean90
  celloexpressions        |      Status:  assigned
     Type:  enhancement   |   Milestone:  4.3

Comment (by folletto):

 > it doesn't work great to have the full margin under the arrow because it
 just gets too narrow for most sentences, but other than that that's very
 similar to what it does currently. Any further thoughts on that?

 We can do then this simple variation. Doesn't look as good to me (and to
 be hones, I think that the `?` isn't super effective, but this is not the
 time to review that).

 [[Image(https://core.trac.wordpress.org/raw-attachment/ticket/31336
 /customizer-question-mark-toggle-i22.png)]]

 > In terms of panels vs. top-level sections, you get something
 fundamentally different after clicking on one (more navigation vs. actual
 controls to interact with), so even if the distinction doesn't matter for
 the average user, I think having it there will add some comfort and
 expectation for experienced users (vs. being unsure what you'll get after
 opening it if you're using a new theme or plugin with panels, for
 example).

 We are standardizing them, and while it wouldn't likely cause any issue,
 it's weird to have two different things trigger the same interaction
 model. You always get what you click on, regardless if it's further
 navigation or interaction tools.

 So I'd make them all identical with the clean arrow to the right as in the
 latest mockup.

 Can we also align the search widget color and spacing? Feels a bit weird
 to have search on top fixed in gray and things scrolling below: gray is
 always background, so shouldn't stay "above" other elements.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/31336#comment:41>