[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #31336: Customizer: separate navigation from options UI for better UX by removing accordion behavior

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed May 20 05:25:10 UTC 2015

#31336: Customizer: separate navigation from options UI for better UX by removing
accordion behavior
--------------------------+------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:                |       Owner:  ocean90
  celloexpressions        |      Status:  assigned
     Type:  enhancement   |   Milestone:  4.3

Comment (by celloexpressions):

 Accessibility issues should be fixed in .6. @folletto it doesn't work
 great to have the full margin under the arrow because it just gets too
 narrow for most sentences, but other than that that's very similar to what
 it does currently. Any further thoughts on that?

 Panel and section speeds are the same (.18s), but I think something's a
 bit off with the panel animation (and always has been - this patch doesn't
 change that), which makes it seem different. Specifically it gets stuck
 halfway and then skips the end of it or something. We could take another
 look at that later. In terms of panels vs. top-level sections, you get
 something fundamentally different after clicking on one (more navigation
 vs. actual controls to interact with), so even if the distinction doesn't
 matter for the average user, I think having it there will add some comfort
 and expectation for experienced users (vs. being unsure what you'll get
 after opening it if you're using a new theme or plugin with panels, for
 example).

 @ocean90: do you think we can get a first-pass in by the end of the week?

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/31336#comment:40>