[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #29158: Customizer UI Design lacks contrast for visual hierarchy and does not match wp-admin

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Jul 16 04:12:25 UTC 2015

#29158: Customizer UI Design lacks contrast for visual hierarchy and does not match
wp-admin
 Reporter:  celloexpressions                     |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement                          |      Status:  assigned
                                                 |     Focuses:  ui,
                                                 |  accessibility

Comment (by celloexpressions):

 [https://wordpress.org/plugins/customizer-ui-experiments/ Customizer UI
 Experiments plugin] to facilitate testing. Interested parties: please
 install and test that plugin and share back thoughts on the UI here.
 Anyone interested in making code changes via the plugin let me know and I
 can give you commit access; for mockups and discussing ideas, let's keep
 the discussion on this ticket.

 After seeing the skin that WordPress.com has added (using light blues), I
 think we should definitely do everything we can to avoid that, unless we
 can find colors that feel better and more neutral. Given the stated
 intention (either above here, or on slack) to keep the Customizer as
 minimal as possible so as not to distract from the site preview, the
 subtle changes in the borders patch would probably work much better than
 something like what press this uses, at least for now.

 That's not to say that the Customizer wouldn't benefit from a broader
 redesign from the ground up, but given the current UI I think the borders
 patch is the best path forward for now. Would love to see concepts for an
 entirely new Customizer UI eventually (only requirements being that it
 needs to include panels, sections, and controls, and the preview in some
 way).

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/29158#comment:30>