[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #18828: function wp_get_object_terms() passes sql data into `wp_get_object_terms` filter for $taxonomies

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Jan 30 18:37:38 UTC 2015

#18828: function wp_get_object_terms() passes sql data into `wp_get_object_terms`
filter for $taxonomies
-------------------------------------+------------------
 Reporter:  postpostmodern           |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)             |      Status:  new
Changes (by boonebgorges):

 * keywords:  has-patch dev-feedback => dev-feedback needs-docs

Comment:

 Replying to [comment:6 postpostmodern]:
 > As far as I can tell, this affects two plugins in the plugins directory.

 Here's a complete list of the affected plugins I just found in a search of
 the repo:

 - wpmovielibrary
 - co-authors-plus
 - polylang
 - capa
 - webcomic
 - qtranslate-slug
 - cpt-onomies

 All of these plugins are actually using the `$taxonomies` variable passed
 to the filter, and either using it directly in a SQL query, or
 manipulating it as a string (eg `explode( ',', $taxonomies )`). They'll
 all break more or less every time the 'wp_get_object_terms' filter is
 called.

 If this list is indicative of the popularity of this filter - and I'd
 wager that it is, and that the nature of the filter is such that it would
 be used even less on bespoke WP customizations than in distributed plugins
 - I'd be OK with breaking it. Does anyone have a problem with this?

 To move forward, I'd like to see an updated patch that explains the change
 in the docblock (maybe another `@since` annotation).

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/18828#comment:12>