[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #31165: Custom post types that do not support content should not have an excerpt mode option

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Jan 29 16:55:15 UTC 2015

#31165: Custom post types that do not support content should not have an excerpt
mode option
-------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  m0r7if3r           |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)       |      Status:  new
Changes (by DrewAPicture):

 * keywords:   => close

Comment:

 Replying to [comment:4 m0r7if3r]:
 > I would say that if the post type does not support `content` OR
 `excerpt`, then the option to switch to excerpt view should not show up.
 If the post type does not support either of these, then it stands to
 reason that switching between views would not change anything, thus
 creating confusion.

 I think what both @helen and @knutsp touched on, however, is that those
 fields can still have values despite the post type not "supporting" those
 features. And I agree. People remove post type supports for all kinds of
 reasons, but a very common one is to prevent core from displaying the
 default UIs for managing those supports. I don't think it would be a good
 idea to disable list modes automagically.

 I believe there's a filter being suggested so the list modes can be
 modified on a per-screen basis. That discussion is happening over in
 #30325.

 Suggest wontfix.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/31165#comment:5>