[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #31277: Many WP Dashboard-only transients for 'browser version' set to autoload=yes in wp_options

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Feb 10 07:16:47 UTC 2015

#31277: Many WP Dashboard-only transients for 'browser version' set to autoload=yes
in wp_options
--------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  archon810           |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)        |      Status:  new

Comment (by archon810):

 Replying to [comment:3 dd32]:
 > I incorrectly thought we were doing weekly garbage collection of
 transients, although it appears we're only doing it upon update #20316 -
 which definitely causes these transients to pile up for the reasons you
 mention (although browsers update far less than weekly on average, Chrome
 Devel does weekly updates for example).

 > To be clear - I wasn't saying that this is an ideal situation, I was
 merely recording our current logic behind transients and autoload (since
 most people probably assume transients are always non-autoloaded).

 > Additionally, if you're using a object-cache such as Memcache, these
 transients will never be stored in the DB and never auto-loaded.

 > ----
 >
 > One option to fix this, could be to define a list of admin-only
 transients, which would go hand-in-hand with a garbage collection.

 Re: object caching. It's horribly broken in W3TC, probably the most
 popular caching plugin. I disabled object caching because of that - it's
 inconsistent and unpredictable. What's the suggested object caching plugin
 to use nowadays, if any? I'm concerned with data loss since Memcached
 loses data on restart, and I know I can rely on MySQL to not do that
 (unless the object caching plugin offers write-through caching).

 Re: fixing. wp-admin transients sound good. In fact, a more generic
 support for grouping/namespacing sounds even better.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/31277#comment:4>