[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #31277: Many WP Dashboard-only transients for 'browser version' set to autoload=yes in wp_options

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Feb 10 00:39:34 UTC 2015

#31277: Many WP Dashboard-only transients for 'browser version' set to autoload=yes
in wp_options
--------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  archon810           |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)        |      Status:  new

Comment (by dd32):

 I incorrectly thought we were doing weekly garbage collection of
 transients, although it appears we're only doing it upon update #20316 -
 which definitely causes these transients to pile up for the reasons you
 mention (although browsers update far less than weekly on average, Chrome
 Devel does weekly updates for example).

 To be clear - I wasn't saying that this is an ideal situation, I was
 merely recording our current logic behind transients and autoload (since
 most people probably assume transients are always non-autoloaded).

 Additionally, if you're using a object-cache such as Memcache, these
 transients will never be stored in the DB and never auto-loaded.

 ----

 One option to fix this, could be to define a list of admin-only
 transients, which would go hand-in-hand with a garbage collection.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/31277#comment:3>