[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #35023: get_field_name() returns a bad field name if you pass it "display][avatar_size"

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Dec 13 14:29:13 UTC 2015

#35023: get_field_name() returns a bad field name if you pass it
"display][avatar_size"
 Reporter:  pbearne                              |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)                         |      Status:  new

Comment (by welcher):

 The hack that in question was a reaction to the API not supporting the
 functionality introduced in [34780]  - which effectively renders it no
 longer needed.

 I understand that backwards compatibility is an issue for those
 implementing the work around but IMHO, I don't think we should be adding
 functionality to make a hack part of core. Core needs to be able to move
 away from hacks and workarounds when we add to or improve the API to
 address the instances that required them in the first place - even if that
 breaks the workaround ( which is kind of the point ).

 Now that we have a the means of doing what the hack intended correctly, we
 should be triggering a `__doing_it_wrong()` notice at most.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/35023#comment:13>