[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #29341: Raise default value for WP_MEMORY_LIMIT in wp-includes/default-constants.php

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Sep 11 17:27:53 UTC 2014

#29341: Raise default value for WP_MEMORY_LIMIT in wp-includes/default-
constants.php
----------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  DavidAnderson   |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement     |      Status:  new

Comment (by nacin):

 I don't want to take a guess here on what memory limit we actually need,
 so let's get some numbers. For us to change this, I'd prefer to see the
 following tests run. All tests should be performed on 4.0 stable.

  * Some basic memory_get_peak_usage() numbers for single and multisite,
 dashboard and admin (so, 4 numbers), on a few different shared hosts (say,
 GoDaddy, BlueHost, Dreamhost, and any others someone has access to). (For
 these tests only, also repeat them on the Russian version of 4.0:
 http://ru.wordpress.org/wordpress-4.0-ru_RU.zip or using the language
 chooser.)

  * English, single site: Peak usage numbers when crunching the image on
 #22869 (it's huge, just 4.9MB but 12600 x 9450 pixels) when specifically
 forcing GD. `add_filter( 'wp_image_editors', function() { return
 'WP_Image_Editor_GD'; });`

  * English, single site: Peak usage numbers when doing a core update that
 specifically avoids using a partial build. For consistency, how about an
 update from 3.9.2 to 4.0.

  * The default memory_limit values of said hosts and the version of PHP
 tested.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/29341#comment:7>