[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #29341: Raise default value for WP_MEMORY_LIMIT in wp-includes/default-constants.php

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Sep 9 08:49:04 UTC 2014

#29341: Raise default value for WP_MEMORY_LIMIT in wp-includes/default-
constants.php
----------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  DavidAnderson   |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement     |      Status:  new

Comment (by DavidAnderson):

 Replying to [comment:5 nacin]:

 > We don't lower the memory limit that is already set, so whoever is
 seeing this problem is on a web host that is <= 40 MB by default.

 Yes, I was aware... the reason for my stats was to indicate what hosts
 appear to think of as reasonable defaults these days. i.e. If we raise the
 "absolute minimum" from 40Mb, then we're not going to see web hosting
 companies complaining that we've gone too high, except for web hosting
 companies who are crazy + trying to shave their margins far beyond all
 reasonable limits.

 I've not got data on why people still hit this 40Mb limit. From some
 support requests, I've got the impression that some people are DIY
 hobbyists and running a version of MAMP or WAMP that has an issue
 somewhere. But it could be that they've been copying php.ini settings
 suggested in web pages they Googled and came across and didn't realise
 that they were way out of date.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/29341#comment:6>