[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #29772: wp-admin/plugins.php should not load plugins so it can be used to disable broke activated plugins

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Oct 31 00:17:24 UTC 2014

#29772: wp-admin/plugins.php should not load plugins so it can be used to disable
broke activated plugins
-----------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  aubreypwd              |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement            |      Status:  new

Comment (by pento):

 `wp-admin/repair.php` has potential, combined with a `wp-
 admin/maint/repair.php`-style define to enable it.

 `plugins.php` *must* load plugins, as most plugins change the plugin
 table. It would also leave sites potentially vulnerable if they have a
 security plugin that wouldn't be loaded, or if they use a custom
 authentication plugin.

 `wp-admin/repair.php` wouldn't be able to load custom authentication
 plugins, either.

 That said, I'm not entirely sure that a repair script is the right
 approach. Updating a plugin won't re-enable it if it's broken, so that
 problem is already taken care of. I agree that the theme/plugin editor
 could be more robust, it'd be worth investigating if we can test loading
 edited PHP files, before saving them.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/29772#comment:12>