[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #30450: Focus V2: Separate out the DFW button from the rest of the TinyMCE editor buttons

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Nov 24 20:22:02 UTC 2014

#30450: Focus V2: Separate out the DFW button from the rest of the TinyMCE editor
buttons
------------------------------+--------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  sharonaustin      |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement       |      Status:  new
  feedback                    |
------------------------------+--------------------------------------------

Comment (by sharonaustin):

 Replying to [comment:1 avryl]:
 > Hi sharonaustin! Thanks for the feedback.
 > Doesn't moving the mouse out of the editor or tabbing out of it make
 everything fade back in so you can reach the publish button? Or what's the
 reason for deactivating it if it's often used by the user?
 Hi avryl, thank you so much for your amazing work on the plugin; it blows
 me away and I think it has some really great implications for the future--
 not just for accessibility, but for usability.
 Here's the issue: Yes all those features you mentioned "work". In the
 particular case of the friend, he "can" use a mouse, but it is physically
 painful for him to do so, and it is physically challenging for him to do
 so.  It literally took us over an hour to open everything up and get
 situated....to write just one sentence.  So, people like my friend rely on
 visual communications to take hints as to "how" to proceed through an
 interface.

 When vision is poor, as in the case of my friend, he looks for large clues
 to infer instructions as to "how" to proceed through the interface--that's
 why I think your plugin functionality is such a boon to accessibility; it
 strips away all that stuff on the sidebar that he would have to deal with,
 both cognitively, and physically.

 Even stripped away to only the editor, the visual components speak
 unintended volumes.  There are only two international "languages"
 understood by mankind, one being Art (visual cues) and the other being
 Music (audio cues).  We are all born with certain "understandings" of what
 certain shapes and sounds mean.  We're hardwired to respond to visual and
 audio cues, and it's only with education that we start "over-riding" our
 native understanding of visual and audio communication.  We don't realize
 just how much we rely on text to "explain" our intentions with the visual
 layout, because we have the privilege of sight.  So, when someone has poor
 sight and can't read text easily, they fall back on the native reactions
 to shapes that we are all born with.

 Visually speaking, there is no "sense" from the buttons in the TinyMCE
 editor that one button does something different than the other buttons.
 They're all gray and in a line--visually speaking, there's no "cue" that
 different things are going on in the buttons.  Again, you know that and I
 know it, because we read text, but that's not so easy for my friend.

 In visual communications, if you want to say that something is different
 from the rest of a group, it's a good idea to not only separate it out--
 i.e., move it away from the rest of the TinyMCE buttons--but to make it
 look different too.  For example, make it "round" instead of rectangular,
 and just by doing those two things alone, you will be sending visual cues
 to people like my friend that something different is going on with the
 Focus button.

 I'll try to put together a Photoshop image to show you what I'm talking
 about.

 Thank you again for all your amazing work with this amazing functionality.
 Greatly appreciated.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/30450#comment:9>