[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #9547: Taxonomy - interesting 'unused' term_order column in table term_relationships.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Jun 17 19:32:11 UTC 2014

#9547: Taxonomy - interesting 'unused' term_order column in table
term_relationships.
------------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  michelwppi              |       Owner:  ryan
     Type:  enhancement             |      Status:  reopened
Changes (by simonwheatley):

 * keywords:  has-patch needs-unit-tests => has-patch dev-feedback

Comment:

 Replying to [comment:29 helen]:
 > Replying to [comment:28 nacin]:
 > > Should get_the_term_list() and the_terms() be converted from `$before
 = '', $sep = '', $after = '', $args = array()` to just `$args = array()`
 that contains `'before'`, `'sep'`, and `'after'`?

 > My vote would be yes.

 Having given this some thought, I don't think it's a good idea to change
 the parameters. If we change the third parameter from `$before` to `$args`
 I cannot see how we can reliably detect when the value being passed was
 ''intended'' as a WordPress `$args` (which can be a URL encoded string
 ''or'' an associative array) without code which becomes quite involved and
 is still not reliable.

 (In detecting whether a value might be intended as `$args` string
 (detecting associative arrays is fairly straightforward) we could look for
 a `=` character, '''but''' this might be present in an attribute
 definition of some HTML in a valid `$before` value.)

 I recommend we leave the parameters as they are.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/9547#comment:35>