[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #21837: Site search for a domain by text fails in subdomain installs of multisite with www in primary domain

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Apr 24 13:59:00 UTC 2014

#21837: Site search for a domain by text fails in subdomain installs of multisite
with www in primary domain
--------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  frisco              |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)        |      Status:  new

Comment (by frisco):

 @jeremyfelt - Thanks for the follow up.  Couple of things:

 1) If I understand correctly, the message added doesn't seem accurate with
 the phrase "any links will not...."  When I posted my original issue,
 without the www, links on the main site did have the www; if that was
 changed, it would seem odd.  It seems the intended explanation is that
 subdomains and any links on them (not links on the main site) will not
 have the www prefix.  Domain mapping throws another wrinkle into that
 message, because www can appear in a mapped subdomain and its links.  I
 think the message can be improved to say specifically that with www on the
 main site, site search on multisite won't work.

 2) It's been a while since I looked at the relevant code, but I recall
 thinking that it would be straightforward to fix the search logic so it
 took into account www or no www.  I'm happy to take a stab at that, but if
 multisite is getting bigger overhauls that might change this code, maybe
 that's not a productive approach.  If the overhauls are otherwise going to
 leave this alone, then it ought to be fixed.

 This isn't a burning issue for me personally, because once I realized the
 problem, I switched my networks to drop www on the main site, but I'm
 happy to try to provide a fix to help others.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/21837#comment:4>